Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Under The Radar, I'm Reaching For the Sky

Title pulled from the lyrics to Sengoku Basara's opening theme.

Homework getting in my way. Homework stopping me from drawing more and catching up.

OH WELL.
Scene brainstorming and comic practice. Despite the building not exactly being...clean in terms of line quality, I like the way it looks. Also, multiple angles! I'm getting somewhere.

Just scribbles and doodles. There's more Capcom in this page than there is Sega. I've never been good at fanart, as I've said before, and Sonic is...kind of tough to draw. I can't figure his eyes out, and I keep giving him wonky expressions half the time. So much blue, though.

Quick sketches and brainstorming for villain designs. I should take a look at military uniforms, or something, and revisit these ideas.


More scene brainstorming and practice. I have a really hard time trying to depict action, which is what started me on drawing this page up...then the quality goes right down to Hell. That aside, I like the way the first panel turned out. I think the impact of the lead pipe comes across well.

I was listening to the final boss track from No More Heroes, "We Are Finally Cowboys," when I drew the first part of this page. That particular track always made me envision a scene like that - everything painted orange from the sunset, the hero riding valiantly atop a motorcycle...

Anyway, my head was still stuck on depicting action, so that birthed the rest of the page.

Brainstorming and design sketches for Rose Hero's villain. His hands look kind of weird in the bottom-center sketch.


Design ideas for the cowboy I'd drawn up several times before. The two bottom poses were drawn with loose, undetailed pencilwork, so they're...kind of off.

Many of these poses were drawn with the same procedure.

This was penciled weeks ago, and the page actually had a full sequence of panels on it before. Wanting to fill this sketchbook up completely, and not wanting to go with what I penciled before, I erased most of the panels and filled the rest of the space with doodles...only the bottom-right one being what I felt satisfied with.

This was penciled a week or so back, too. The strange thing about it is that as I was penciling it, I was instant messaged by a Knives cosplayer.

...I think it's safe not to ask anything about this one.

SO YEAH. That's ten drawings in today's update.


That bumps us up to 274 drawings total.

I'm supposed to have 306 by today.

I'm behind by 32. I could be making larger jumps in how much I'm catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment