Saturday, November 13, 2010

And you will find the trust, only if we walk as one

Post title pulled from the lyrics to the track, "Joey and Heroman," from...well, Heroman.

I'm making progress with this update. Three drawings ahead of the daily quota, which means three more towards not being behind!

Although, haha, I actually posted this, then as I'm editing it right now, I'm typing the usual text in. I just wanted the original post time to be kept in the post.

Anyway, the first two drawings, this one and the next, involve a contest Capcom's running for Mega Man Legends 3. Essentially, it's designing a mech that'll be used by the game's antagonists, the Bonne family, as they fight Mega Man. They even provided some context for the mech, too: It'll drill into the area where it's fought, there'll be water in that area...and some other bits.

So I got caught-up on the drill part. The first one I drew is that caterpillar-looking mech up top. I'm not entirely sure how it would attack, unless it can stand on its hind legs and have its drill feet pop forward into you as you run around it.

The second one that resembles a pirate monkey with a gun-pacifier and drill wolverine claws...well, I got stuck thinking of how it would move, and it lacks feet/wheels.

And the next two I drew up had more drills. They don't feel very Bonne family-ish, though. The one up top came second, and had a snake-like body that it moved with. A giant drill backpack is on its back.

The one below moves on treads and has two giant drills that can open up to act as cannons. The frog mouth at the front raises up to reveal a place where the Bonne family can taunt Mega Man.

This was drawn before either of the mecha designs: They're just design and expression practice for Rose Hero's cast. Rosa's design is still kind of up in the air, since I don't know what to do with her hair or face.

And this was...just doodling and practicing. I brought my brush back out, but its bristles kept fraying as I inked my sketches. As a result, the line quality in a lot of places is much different from what I had desired.

But then when I used the brush later, it started to behave the way I wanted it to. Under the influence of certain sequences from Panty Stocking and Garterbelt, I felt compelled to try draw the female form stylistically. The results are...somewhat chaotic.

And that was supposed to be a swimsuit. Not some...weird dominatrix outfit. Ugh, oh God.

This was sketched up after I'd drawn the robots from my last post on the blog, but I never inked it until last night, and finished it this morning. I wanted to try a falling/flying action sequence several times in the past, and I finally re-attempted it here.

Mixed results. The last "panel" with Red Adonis and Rosa, in the bottom-right, wasn't planned too well, what with Rosa's legs being cut off by the panels preceding it...

And this started as doodles of Akumetsu. However, after being influenced by Bartender's ending song, I started drawing that bar scene. Used the brush again, and...I think it looks pretty good.

Seven drawings in tonight's update.

That bumps us up to 288 drawings total.

But I should have 317 drawings by today.

I'm behind by 29. I'm getting there.

3 comments:

  1. Might I recommend a giant drill for the "Pirate Monkey" to be placed on top of. It could embed in the ground and allow the rest of the mech to pivot at high speed, or allow it to move around like it was on a giant top. Throw a giant spring in there and you've got a pirate monkey with a pogo-spring-drill and a potential multi-stage boss enemy that becomes increasingly chaotic.

    The problem is figuring how how to make something cool and figure out how the boss fight will function. You have to think like a game designer since what they'll be looking at is gameplay. I liked what you mentioned before about using the Servbots to plug up holes. In the area description it sounds like the Bonnes have totally F-ed everything up, so if you could find a way to balance combat with ensuring that the whole place doesn't just cave in I'm sure that'd be a feather in your cap. Use the environment to your advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got back from a walk. I was thinking about how amazing you are and I remembered that I'm horrible at critiquing and didn't actually say anything positive. Sorry 'bout that...

    Like you mentioned in the previous post about your designs being heavily influenced by MegaMan Legends, these mechs absolutely fit the style of the game perfectly. The first one in particular feels very Bonne-ish, and I like the Froschborher's frog-mouthed bay that opens up. It's not a boss fight unless the villains cockily taunt you at least once.

    I have also decided that Black Iris is my favorite character of yours. Every time you draw her it turns out great, and today all we get is a mug-shot.

    Anyway, there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful? This guy is absolutely shitty at drawing for his age and all his stories are derivative tripe.

    ReplyDelete